Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mixed bag of assignments




Looking back on the week, it was filled with grieving and blackouts. I was taken off a job for spot news - where a 17 year-old boy was shot and killed in front of a row of businesses in Plainfield. The scene was challenging because the victim wasn't covered and friends and family were very emotional.


Through out my career, I've always tried to tell the story without overstepping boundaries and being insensitive. I had felt I had to show the victim but do it respectfully and tried to show how much pain friends and family were going through. It wasn't easy, and became more difficult when I was approached and told to stop taking pictures. You have to learn when you have enough and step away. It didn't take long. I was done in about 15 minutes after arriving on the scene.


Later in the week, I photographed the New York Giants battle the Dallas Cowboys. The Giants were expected to win but the Cowboys turned the lights out on the Giants. Another thing happened that night that was unexpected. The New Meadowlands Stadium went through a blackout for moments. All the lights went out for about 15 seconds or so when a transformer blew suppling power to the stadium.


Lets see what's in store for me next week?

No comments: