Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First Net Cam

Tonight it happened. I waited a year to use it. I used a hockey net cam for the first time. No unfortunately it wasn't during a New Jersey Devils game. I can't get past the NHL's new rules, so that will never happen. It was during a boys high school game. I was photographing Montgomery High School vs. Bridgewater-Raritan High School, during the 2011 Skyland Conference Ice Hockey Cup at the Bridgewater Sports Arena.


Ok enough with that. Instead of shooting available light to take advantage of a fast motor drive to stop the action, I had to make it more difficult and shoot with strobes. Shooting sports with strobes isn't easy. You can't shoot with a motor drive, because the recycling time of the strobes takes too long to reach full power before you can shoot again. So it's just one shot at a time.


I learned many things tonight using the net cam. 1) Stay hunched over as you exit the goal. 2) Stay hunched over as you exit the goal. 3) Stay hunched over as you exit the goal. You would think I would have learned it after the first or second time, but no. I hit the top of my head each time I exited the goal. I'm surprised I didn't pass out or get a concussion.


There are so many variables you have to think about when using a net cam. I really don't know where to begin. So I won't. My head still hurts and I can't think straight.


All I'll do is share my best frame of the night. It is of Montgomery's Kevin Wanke, left, scoring against Bridgewater-Raritan goalie Mike Haggerty Wednesday Feb 23, 2011. He went onto score the game winning goal for Montgomery to win 4-3 in overtime.


2 comments:

muls96 said...

Nice! Looks good, I've been wanting to do one at my son's game, I'll have to wait until next season, his last home games are this weekend...looks good!

Anonymous said...

what are the NHL rules that prohibit you from doing this?

like your blog..keep it up.