Saturday, May 23, 2009

In Love


I set off to document tragedy, but came back with an image of joy. Late Friday, teenagers boating near Manasquan collided with a bigger boat, leaving one dead and others critically injured. Editors sent a reporter and me to the area today with the challenging task of finding family, friends or neighbors to discuss the teens and their accident for a follow-up story. But while some people find it cathartic to talk about ill-fated loved ones, others - including everyone we tracked down today - don't. So my editor instead asked me to make a photograph down the Shore as Memorial Day weekend kicked off.


A couple who seemed totally in love caught my eye on the beach. So I watched them, waiting for a good moment. The moment came when he scooped her up and carried her off to the water. 

No comments: