Friday, March 21, 2008

Assignment: Grieving Relatives




Picture #1) Christine and William Koch, parents of Army Cpl. Steven Koch, stand in the hallyway of their East Brunswick Township home, reflecting on their son's life as they speak to a reporter. Cpl, Koch died while serving in Afghanistan.

Picture #2) Lynne Koch, whose brother is Army Cpl. Steven Koch, grows emotional while giving an interview from her parents' home in East Brunswick Township.

I was assigned to photograph the Koch family shortly after they learned that their son Army Cpl. Steven Koch was killed in action in Afghanistan. I never enjoyed trying to document someone's pain, and it can be tough to remain an impassive, inconspicuous observer when the tears start flowing. After 16 years in journalism, I strive to portray people who are grappling with powerful emotions, with upmost respect and dignity. 

To me, the power in these images of Steven Koch's grieving relatives is the loss that is etched so clearly on their faces and in their body language. I hope that anyone seeing these images can begin to feel the tragedy that this family suffered, and that so many families have endured in this county's 6-year-old war.

I'm sure this won't be the last mourning family whose agony I'll be assigned to capture with my camera. Like the Koch's, I'll try to approach them with solemnity, respect and kindness that hopefully will translate through my camera's eye. 

No comments: