Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Stand by me


Last night's election was a special night for many, nationally and locally. I was assigned to cover Republican Sen. Leonard LAnce as he went up against Democrat Linda Stender, a four-term assemblywoman, in the hotly contested race fo the 7th Congressional District in New Jersey.

I covered many elections during the past 17 years, coincidentally often having to cover the lose. It was nice to see the other side. It's always a challenge to make a picture of the winner that is different than the stereotypical arms-raised-in-triumph. I did shoot that, but there was a moment between husband and wife, as the celebration roiled around them, that I caught that's quite different. As I moved this image and a few others, I pleaded with the photo desk to use this image over a more typical celebration shot, because I felt it embodied a sense of fulfillment and achievement while also conveying the love and solace this couple shares. I got my wish.



No comments: