Saturday, April 18, 2009

Planning, Perspective and Luck



Well the hockey playoffs are upon us again. I'm following the New Jersey Devils on the road as they take on the Carolina Hurricanes during the 1st round of the Eastern Conference Finals of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. 

Last night the Devils lost 2-1 in overtime during game 2 in Newark. I always make an effort to place a remote camera up in the catwalks of the arena hours before game time. I do this for two reasons. One, you never know when you might be blocked from my photo position. Having another camera at a completely different angle might catch that moment that I was blocked.  This especially helps when I shoot alone and can't see both goals from my position.  So I hang the remote camera over the goal I can't see very well. This is the back up.  The other reason why I like using a remote camera is that it might render a very cool picture, not necessarily the defining game wining moment, but jut a cool shot.  

So last night I place a remote camera over the Devils' goalie Martin Brodeur.  The above shot was of the first goal that was made against him. Here you see the puck popping back out as Hurricanes' Eric Staal celebrates.   

The other photograph is the reaction to the game wining goal in overtime as the Hurricanes defeated the Devils 2-1.  Devils goalie Martin Brodeur looks stunned and on the right there is good reaction from Eric Staal of the Hurricanes celebrating. 

No comments: