Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I-280 Shutdown



Today was interesting. A major interstate in New Jersey, I-280 was shutdown for me for 15-20 minutes around 7:30 p.m., so I could photograph a state trooper for a story The Star-Ledger was working on.

Now that is POWER!

The story is about New Jersey State Trooper Gerard Tibbs, who took on a cold case assignment last year. I photographed him standing at the spot, on I-280 west in Kearny, where a women was walking in the left lane when a car fatally struck her on January 20, 1997. Trooper Tibbs hopes to find out the identity of the women using the latest DNA technology.

It was a weird experience. I followed the trooper in my car to the spot. As we approached, out of no where, two troopers pulled out between me and the cars behind to slow the traffic down to a stop. We had open road to ourselves. So I pulled out a light stand and a small flash to set up for the shoot. All the time seeing the traffic build and build.

After finishing the shoot, I checked the traffic report to see if anything was mentioned. Not much just a small blurb about a backup on I-280 west because of police activity. At least it didn't say for a photo shoot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saed, you have a great job, your photos are fascinating, and your blog most enjoyable.

I've been photographing rare frogs, fires and dust storms - a little different from your stuff.

(http://ashdown4628.clients.cmdwebsites.com/blog/)

You have some strange sports on your side of the Pacific!

Cheers again
Rob