Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Boss


New Jersey Governor Chris Christie along with his family sing with the B Street Band, a Bruce Springsteen cover band during their Inaugural Ball at the Prudential Center. It's hard to make a picture that is lively and unexpected, because inaugural balls tend to be scripted. This one started out no different.


The governor took the stage, spoke and then left without mingling with guests. Most shake hands and meet with their supporters after their speech - so it was very disappointing not to get personal interaction between guests and the governor. Not to mention, he and his wife decided not to perform a typical first dance. So I returned to my computer to transmit photos for the newspapers deadline. As I was packing up and getting ready to head home, I heard he was on stage sining with a band. I unloaded my equipment so fast, I don't even remember how I did it.


The stage was packed with guest and other photographs up against it, so all I could do was push my way up as far as possible and hold the camera over my head in attempt to make pictures. I had no idea if they were sharp or composed well enough. Only after a few minutes, I pulled the plug on shooting and ran back to move the photos. I spotted this frame right away and was happy with it, considering I wasn't looking through the lens. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. I was lucky this time.

No comments: